Sunday, April 15, 2007

Teapots and Tiny Quilts and Aprons, Oh My!

Tomorrow I'm back to work after a week off. Sigh! The good news is that I finally finished this Teapot Quilt that I started last summer. It's from the Fons and Porter Love of Quilting May/June 2006 issue. It wasn't a hard quilt, and it's small, so there's really no excuse as to why it took me a year to finish. It sure feels good to have it done in time for this year's spring/summer season. I need to find a good place in the kitchen to hang it now.

I also completed my April ATC for the Creative Mom Podcast exchange. The theme: A World In Bloom. I used the same fabrics as the Teapot Quilt. Then I embroidered a ladybug and a flower. Remember, this quilt is only 2.5 x 3.5 inches. It's tiny! It was a real challenge to work in these small proportions. Instead of traditional batting I used Timtex as the middle layer to keep it very stiff, like a card. The backing is the red polka dot fabric and then I bound it with the green floral, as you can see. I machine quilted it around all the middle squares and the border. What fun!

I also finished an apron for Matthew. He picked out the colors and I worked on it after he went to bed so it was done the next day. He posed for this still in his pjs. We then got out all our pretend food and set up restaurant in his room. The red square in the middle is a big pocket. I was going to make one for my daughter as well but she had no interest in his, so I may hold off on hers a while. I am working on a jumper for her that I started- you got it- last year. I'm not even sure if it will fit her this summer. But if it doesn't, I'll give it to one of the moms I know who could use it. Right now I'm stuck because I have to put in 3 button holes, which I HATE doing- even more than zippers. And I haven't done any button holes on my Bernina yet. So I read the manual trying to figure it out. I'm just going to have to sit down one night and practice- not how I really want to spend an evening when I have so many other projects to do. I still have a baby quilt for my friend Lori's daughter and a birthday gift for my niece to make.


1 comment:

Lumie said...

Hi,
I am the receipient of April's ATC. I LOVE my mini-quilt. You are so talented.
Thank you,
Lumie