Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Summer Reading List

Summer is always the time when I catch up on some reading. During the school year I pretty much fall asleep 10 minutes into reading a book, so I mostly read magazines during the school year and save my major book reading for summer. Here's what I read this summer:
Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China by Leslie T. Chang. This was in the "new nonfiction" part of the library, which means it can only be checked out for 2 weeks. I was wondering if I'd even be able to finish it because it's like 400 some pages, but it was so good I read it in a week.

Coop: A Year of Poultry, Pigs, and Parenting by Michael Perry. Perry is a Wisconsin author and so I was compelled to read this book because of that and because of my interest in sustainable living. I really enjoyed this book!

Voluntary Madness: My Year Lost and Found in the Loony Bin by Norah Vincent. An interesting look into treating those with mental health disorders- I enjoyed Vincent's perspective and appreciated how much of her personal story she shares.


It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong. Absolutely hilarious and so so easy to relate to!
Olive Kitteridge: Fiction by Elizabeth Strout. The only fiction book I read and it was a book every woman should read. Olive is a multi-dimensional character and there is some of her in all of us.
I had a great summer of reading and was lucky that I enjoyed every book I read. Unfortunately it's back to school in a little over a week, which means I will have to put other books I want to read on hold until next summer.

No comments: